Friday, July 11, 2008

What The Heck is "A Scant Cup"

I was making pita bread the other day (which didn’t turn out…arrrr, I hate when that happens…I need to find a different recipe) and the recipe called for a “scant 2/3 cup” of water. I’ve seen “scant” used in other recipes and honesty I just ignored it.

I had a few minutes, so I decided to look it up. According to Baking911, “any time you see a ‘scant’ measurement, for example ‘1 scant tablespoon’, you just fill the measuring tablespoon barely full instead of filling and leveling off the top.”

Good to know. I’m sure that knowledge will come in very handy, and maybe my "scant-full" recipes will turn out even better.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Thank you so much for the definitin of scant. I went to ask.com and your blog came up first. I am cooking a dessert for Thanksgiving and it calls for 5 scant cups of milk. I had no idea what that meant! So, again, thanks for the help!!